Jaunay / Knox study presented by Graham
I hope that this site will assist:
• to re-establish lost links between members
of the family,
The name Jaunay originates from France. François Marie
Jaunay fled the Revolution and established Jaunay's
Hotel in Leicester Square London on the site
of the Odeon Theatre just around
the corner from St Martins In the Field [pictured].
• to encourage pride in our name and its history,
• to research our family tree and share this knowledge
with one another.
The Jaunays had long been associated with the nobility. François
father, Jean Baptiste Jaunay was a member of the Prince de
Condé household and an earlier ancestor had been the
king's secretary in 1700. François had three children.
Emma married Paul Krug the founder of Krug Champagne,
the world's best champagne. Louisa married Adolphe Jacquesson
also a champagne maker. Louis Brunet Jaunay was also a champagne
maker and his son, my great grandfather, Frank, came to Australia
in 1894 to help the local industry make sparkling wines.
This is my own Jaunay line:
• Jean Baptiste Jaunay (my 4x great grandfather)
married a Viard.
This symbol on some pages indicates a link to a detailed family
• François Marie Jaunay (my 3x great grandfather)
married a Howell.
• Louise Brunet Jaunay (my great great grandfather)
married a Gilmour.
• Frank Cunningham Jaunay (my great grandfather) married
• Robert John Cunningham Jaunay (my grandfather) married
• Frank James Cunningham Jaunay (my father) married
• Graham Robert Jaunay (me) married a Knox.
There are a whole range of pages you can select from the menu
To date data on some 49 Jaunay families that I could not link to my family have been identified in a One-name Study. A futher 170 individuals have also been located giving a total number of individuals indentified as 522. My own family can be accessed from the menu at the head of this page. In February 2017 one of the 49 families was identified by a collaboration between myself and a 4th cousin in France as being the family of a half brother of François Marie Jaunay.
To view the unrelated (to date) Jaunays, click on this link.